Tuesday, October 6, 2015

the one where I tell a newbie what to expect

I have people reach out to me pretty regularly about my job and what it entails. I thought I would post about it and then anyone with any questions outside of here, please feel free to ask. Side note: I would also like to stress I have included some of my own opinion in this.

-You have to take two classes to get your license.
-You must pass a final at the end of each class.
-After the two are completed (one after another) you may then take your state license exam.
-The exam is held in Harrisburg. I don't remember how much money it costs to take but you do have to pay for it every time you take it. I know people who passed the first time and people who took it up to 5. In my opinion its a lot like a test you would take in college: you will probably not use the stuff again as so much of learning about the job must be done on the field.
-You interview places to work for. Yep that's right, the fact is, every broker wants you to work for them if they see you have potential to make them some money. So you shop around (this is often done during your classes you're taking). You will find out things like commission splits, mileage reimbursement (I only know one company who does that), what your desk space will be like, what sort of in house training you will have, etc.
-You get our own leads. The advertising you see on fbook, IG, the calls you get, the emails you get from agents.. this is because we start off completely on our own with our goal of eventually getting referrals.
-You do NOT get paid unless you SELL A HOUSE. The time you spend showing homes, getting people pre approved, answering endless real estate related questions, buying marketing materials, signs, your cards, you do not get any money back for that until you sell. This is NOT an hourly plus commission job. ALL THE MORE REASON PEOPLE NEED TO BE RESPECTFUL OF YOUR TIME. Do not be afraid to explain that to a person.
-As an agent, unless you set your own cutoff for when you will not work, you are on call 24/7. I have done deals where the negotiations went until 11pm. I try not to do any work later than 8pm so that I can wind down and get some sleep but that's not always easy.
-There are a lot of fees included in being a realtor. You have to pay for key access, MLS access, marketing materials, signs, photos, business cards, websites, your license renewal, your membership dues, etc.
-You get to make your own hours which is nice but at the same time, its really based on your clients and their schedules.
-The real estate market changes regularly. You have to be willing to learn something new.
-You have to take continuing education courses to keep your license valid.
-In my opinion, if you are going to get into real estate, you should go in FULL TIME. It is totally normal to have a transition period as you leave one job to go to another, clearly leaving a job to enter a commission based job is terrifying but as long as you hold yourself accountable for the things you are doing to grow your career, you will succeed.
-Don't fool yourself. If you are not the type to talk to people, to follow up, to be flexible with your hours, to do paperwork, this is not the job for you and that's ok.
-You cant take things personally in this job. Someone you know will use a realtor other than you, someone you are listing a house for will think they know what the price should be better than you do, someone you are helping buy a home will change their mind about buying after you have shown them 20 houses.

I love my job. The clients, spending time with people and getting to see their interactions/relationships, getting to see the excitement people experience when they find a house they love or sell their first home to buy their family home. I have done this for four years now and it hasn't always been easy. I have questioned if I should have a back up plan. Then I started a family and wow, my motivation was taken to a whole new level. Full time working mom AND I get to stay at home with my child?! She never has to go to daycare because then she gets taken care of by Daddy when I have evening/weekend appointments. My mom helps me when I have clients in York. It is an amazing feeling when you feel that something was truly made for you and is your calling.

Contact me today if you or anyone you know is in the market to buy or sell a home and please don't hesitate to ask any questions if you are thinking of joining this field!
Angela.Rera@cbhomes.com 717-332-4407


0 Kommentare

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner