Sunday, August 11, 2013

Mema, Mammy and New York

I have been absent for weeks. Keeping up with a blog is hard. Life is busy. Being a mother and wife has 100% consumed my life and I love it.

This past week Dan and I took Tori on her first long road trip. We went to Long Island where Dans very small family lives. We have gone every year twice a year since we started dating. Once over the summer and once over Christmas. Christmas in New York is so beautiful.
This was the second time Dans Mema(his grandma) and his Aunt Maggie have met Tori but the first time his uncle and two cousins have. It was so, so sweet seeing how much they love her and how excited they were to spend the week with her. It is amazing how much love comes with family. Having Tori gives me an appreciation for her family loving her and giving her attention. I love seeing her be kissed, hugged, cuddled. My sweet girl is loved! We got to go to this bakery that Dan, his bro and his dad have gone to for a million years in New York. Dan and I even got a date night as our Aunt Maggie so graciously offered to watch Victoria for us. Dan and I went to a small town in LI called Patchogue where we went for sushi and got drinks. It was awesome, some of the best sushi we have had and accompanied with a chocolate martini for me and a beer for Dan, doesn't get better than that.
Dan's Mema is a very special person to him. She just adores her children and grandchildren. That obviously has extended now to Victoria, me and my sister in law, Taylor and anyone else that her family cares and loves about. She is a wonderful woman and I am so thankful Dan has had her in his life. He adores her more than words can describe.
Now on to my Mammy.
My grandma also happens to be one of the most special people in the world to me. She lost her father a year or so ago and her mother had been in a nursing home the past 5 years. She was getting progressively worse as old age had caught up to her. Everything from alzheimers to not being able to eat anything other than puree etc. My grandma was visiting her in the nursing home about every other day or so, feeding her, bathing her, talking to her. She also would chat with her roommate who she shared her room with for most (possibly all) of the years she had been living there. My great gma passed away this past Saturday. My Mammy seems to be holding up ok as it was expected that this day was coming shortly because my great gma had even more issues come up recently. One thing that happened after she passed was while my Mammy was in the nursing home, she was cleaning out my great gmas room etc and her roommate asked my Mammy to please keep visiting her and my Mammy promised she would. That whole story brought tears to my eyes. My gma is soooo that person, the one who is so sweet and reaches out to everyone she can. That person who would take small gifts to her mothers nursing home roommate so she was never left out. That person who always has something nice to say about everyone, etc. She has lived a crazy life, has been through so, so much.. and is still just such a wonderful person. I just adore her.
 

0 Kommentare

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner