Saturday, December 6, 2014

Thanksgiving

I am late on this post. Thanksgiving was like, a week and a half ago and now we are onto Christmas but Thanksgiving was too fun not to mention.
This was the first year that Dan and I hosted. Our old house was this super skinny, tall house that could barely fit me, Dan and Tori into the dining area, let alone 10-15 people. This is our first holiday season in our home and we are just too excited to not volunteer to have everyone over. So anyways, we were in charge of the turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes. Dan made all of those items. I am more of a baker, I stuck with simple cupcakes that were decorated to look like turkeys which made my niece Izzy and the neighbor kid so excited because I used candy corn for the décor and well, they love candy corn.
Dan brinded(sp?) the turkey and it turned out awesome. My dad is not usually a turkey eater and he couldn't stop raving about it. He even said it was better than my moms, which my mom immediately followed with "good, then Dan can make the turkey next year too". He also had vegetables and such cooking with it. Yummy, yummy. My mom made stuffing in the form of balls which was pretty cool, my gma brought some ham and green bean casserole. Like every Thanksgiving, all of the food was delicious. For the dinner portion it was me, Dan, my parents, my gma (aka Mammy) and Dan's mom. Then came the dessert. For this part, my brother and his fiancé (Summer) and my niece Iz came, then also my sister (aka Banana or Donna as her birth certificate says)... with her husband Kenny and my other niece Sam. There was SOOOO much good dessert. I was in heaven. Oreo balls, chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, chocolate cheesecake... the list goes on. Needless to say, I couldn't move for like, 2 hours because I was so full.
After dinner and dessert we got out Scattergories which was hilarious. First off all, the ongoing joke is my brother and mom sharing a brain (which has not been proved otherwise) but surprisingly my brother did pretty well. Summer did the worst (summer, if you are reading this, you know I had to mention that haha I love you).
It felt so good to laugh and be silly with my family. I don't know about anyone else, but the past few years, the holidays have felt different. It was almost like they became a chore. We had to go to this house, then this house.. then make it to that other one first thing in the morning, etc. And then other than the running around and trading gift cards, the day just didn't feel special anymore.
This year, Thanksgiving was a breathe of fresh air. My dad watched football, my neurotic (in the best way) mom was cleaning and running around like a crazy person, my Mammy was playing with all of the kids, we laughed at my brother who seriously is just a funny dude, my sister rolled her eyes and laughed at the craziness that is our family, Summer and I goofed off and tortured each other like we are sisters, Dan laughed and appreciated all that was happening around him (compared to his small and much more tame family). The little girls played together, like for real played... slapped, tickled, threw the ball, colored. I love our growing family so much. Cant wait for Christmas.





0 Kommentare

Post a Comment

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner